Re: AUTOSEL process

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Mar 14 2023 - 14:27:11 EST

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 11:54:17AM -0700, Eric Biggers wrote:

> The fact is, many people *do* follow the rules exactly by *not* tagging commits
> for stable when they don't meet the documented eligibility criteria. But then
> the stable maintainers backport the commits anyway, as the real eligibility
> criteria are *much* more relaxed than what is documented.

Again, if you do NOT want your patches backported, because you always
mark them properly for stable releases, just let us know and we will add
you to the list of other subsystems and maintainers that have asked us
for this in the past.

We can't detect the absence of a tag as "I know exactly what I am doing"
because of the huge number of developers who do NOT tag patches, and so,
we have to dig through the tree to find fixes on our own.

thanks,

greg k-h