Re: AUTOSEL process

From: Eric Biggers
Date: Sat Mar 11 2023 - 15:18:02 EST

On Sat, Mar 11, 2023 at 01:26:57PM -0500, Sasha Levin wrote:
> I'm getting a bunch of suggestions and complaints that I'm not implementing
> those suggestions fast enough on my spare time.

BTW, the "I don't have enough time" argument is also a little frustrating
because you are currently insisting on doing AUTOSEL at all, at the current
sensitivity that picks up way too many commits. I can certainly imagine that
that uses a lot of your time! But, many contributors are telling you that
AUTOSEL is actually *worse than nothing* currently.

So to some extent this is a self-inflicted problem. You are *choosing* to spend
your precious time running in-place with something that is not working well,
instead of putting AUTOSEL on pause or turning down the sensitivity to free up
time while improvements to the process are worked on.

(And yes, I know there are many stable patches besides AUTOSEL, and it's a lot
of work, and I'm grateful for what you do. I am *just* talking about AUTOSEL
here. And yes, I agree that AUTOSEL is needed in principle, so there's no need
to re-hash the arguments for why it exists. It just needs some improvements.)

- Eric