RE: [RFC 2/4] media: videobuf2: Replace bufs array by a list

From: David Laight
Date: Tue Mar 14 2023 - 06:21:00 EST

From: Hans Verkuil
> Sent: 14 March 2023 08:55
> Why not start with a dynamically allocated array of 32 vb2_buffer pointers?
> And keep doubling the size (reallocing) whenever more buffers are needed,
> up to some maximum (1024 would be a good initial value for that, I think).
> This max could be even a module option.

I don't know the typical uses (or the code at all).
But it might be worth having a small array in the structure itself.
Useful if there are typically always (say) less than 8 buffers.
For larger sizes use the (IIRC) kmalloc_size() to find the actual
size of the structure that will be allocate and set the array
size appropriately.

David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)