Fwd: absent both plymouth, and video= on linu lines, vtty[1-6] framebuffers produce vast raster right and bottom borders on the larger resolution of two displays

From: Bagas Sanjaya
Date: Thu May 25 2023 - 06:52:14 EST

Hi,

I notice a regression report on Bugzilla [1]. Quoting from it:

> Original Summary:
> absent both plymouth, and video= on linu lines, vtty[1-6] framebuffers produce vast raster right and bottom borders on the larger resolution of two displays
>
> To reproduce:
> 1-connect two unequal native resolution displays to a Tesla or Firmi GPU
> 2-don't have plymouth in use (I don't ever have it installed, so don't know whether it impacts)
> 3-don't include e.g. video=1440x900@60 directive on Grub's linu lines
> 4-boot Tumbleweed or Fedora 38
> 5-switch to a vtty, e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F3
>
> Actual behavior:
> 1-Both displays utilize the resolution (same pixel grid) of the lower resolution display
> 2-Lower resolution display behaves as expected (light text on black background)
> 3-Higher resolution display uses same pixels as lower resolution display, with light text on black background, leaving right side and bottom raster instead of black
>
> Expected behavior:
> 1-Both displays utilize the resolution (same pixel grid) of the lower resolution display
> 2-Lower resolution display behaves as expected
> 3-Entire higher resolution display's background is black instead of portions in raster
>
> Workaround: add e.g. video=1440x900@60 to Grub's linu lines, which causes both displays to use the same nominal mode on the full display space.
>
> Typical other linu line options:
> noresume consoleblank=0 net.ifnames=0 ipv6.disable=1 preempt=full mitigations=none
>
> My Tesla has HDMI and DVI outputs, tested with 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 displays.
> My Fermi has dual DisplayPort, tested with 2560x1440 and 1680x1050 displays.
> Occurs Tumbleweed with 6.3.2 and 6.2.12 kernel-default, and with 6.2.15 on Fedora 38, and (partially with Tesla, right side only) with 6.2.12 and 6.3.3 on Mageia 9.
> Does not occur with 6.1.12 kernel-default on NVidia, or with AMD Caicos (Terascale2) GPU, or with Intel Eaglelake GPU.
> Tested only on legacy booting (no UEFI support).
> Others might describe what I call "raster" as multicolored snow.

See bugzilla for the full thread and attached dmesg.

Anyway, I'm adding it to regzbot:

#regzbot introduced: v6.1.12..v6.2.12
#regzbot title: vast raster right and bottom borders on larger display (two displays with inequal resolution) unless forcing resolution with video= parameter

Thanks.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara