Re: Bug report: kernel paniced when system hibernates

From: Conor Dooley
Date: Thu May 25 2023 - 08:56:39 EST

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 04:53:59PM -0700, Atish Patra wrote:

> We can also just revert the commit
> 3335068 ("riscv: Use PUD/P4D/PGD pages for the linear mapping")
> until a proper solution is available.

I'm actually inclined to go the other day. If hibernation never works
in a released kernel we can't regress it & since we have not settled on
a fix for this yet we don't know whether the fix would then remove
support for hibernation where it used to work.

> IIRC, Alex also suggested the same as there is no measured benefit
> with this patch.
> It is good to have 1GB huge page mappings but it can be delayed until
> we have the fix
> for the hibernation issue.

IIRC it was the 1 GiB hugepages that Alex said were ~worthless.