Re: Bug report: kernel paniced when system hibernates

From: Atish Patra
Date: Wed May 24 2023 - 19:54:19 EST

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 4:58 AM Alexandre Ghiti <alexghiti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:35 PM Conor Dooley
> <conor.dooley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 10:41:19AM +0200, Alexandre Ghiti wrote:

> > > Not being able to map certain regions of the linear mapping with a 1GB
> > > hugepage will happen, for example the kernel mapping is protected in
> > > the linear mapping so that it can't be written: so we can only map
> > > this region with 2MB hugepages. A firmware could mark a region as
> > > "no-map" and there again we would not be able to use a 1GB hugepage. I
> > > don't see that as a regression as the intention is not to *always* use
> > > 1GB hugepages, but rather to use them when possible. Does that make
> > > sense?
> >
> > Ah, so it was as I expected - I don't/didn't properly understand
> > hugepages. Thanks.

> > > Given Mike Rapoport's recent talk, I think that's an option, yes.

> > > Yes I agree with you, we can implement Anup's solution #1, but we need
> > > to fix the kernel anyway since if we don't, that would make the kernel
> > > hibernation support depend on a certain version of openSBI.
> >
> > It's not unreasonable to have things depend on versions of the SBI
> > implementation, but it is if they're not things that can be probed using
> > the standard interfaces!

> > > The "no-map" property does not provide much security anyway: the
> > > kernel should not touch a page that is reserved (this is where I may
> > > be wrong), so the real fix to this issue is to make the hibernation
> > > process not save those pages.
> >
> > Right, the kernel clearly needs to be able to handle the regions. I, at
> > least, was commenting on re-using no-map versus creating new properties
> > for this situation.
> > I was advocating for re-using the property & changing the kernel so as
> > not to touch the regions during hibernation.

> > > The problem is only present since v6.4-rc1, that's not a regression,
> > > it's just that both patches landed at the same time and gave rise to
> > > this issue.
> >
> > Sick. Glad to be wrong here!
> >
> > #regzbot resolve: not a regression, feature introduced this cycle

> > Any thoughts on this one?
>
> Ahah, I don't know, I tried to dodge the question :) But if we don't
> fix this issue, hibernation won't work so is it enough?

We can also just revert the commit
3335068 ("riscv: Use PUD/P4D/PGD pages for the linear mapping")
until a proper solution is available.

IIRC, Alex also suggested the same as there is no measured benefit
with this patch.
It is good to have 1GB huge page mappings but it can be delayed until
we have the fix
for the hibernation issue.