Re: [linus:master] [tpm, tpm_tis] e644b2f498: RIP:acpi_safe_halt

From: Jerry Snitselaar
Date: Mon May 29 2023 - 16:59:03 EST

On Mon, May 29, 2023 at 05:07:54PM +0200, Michael Niewöhner wrote:
> Hi Jerry,
>
> On Thu, 2023-05-11 at 07:59 -0700, Jerry Snitselaar wrote:
> >
> > IIRC trying to catch the irq storm didn't work in the L490 case for
> > some reason, so we might still need the dmi entry for that one.
> >
> > The info that the T490s had a pin wired up wrong came from Lenovo, but
> > this one even looks to be a different vendor so I wonder how often
> > this happens or if there is something else going on. Is it possible to
> > get info about the tpm used in the Inspur system? The datasheet online
> > doesn't mention it.
>
> Are you sure about T490s? To me the wiring looks right on both s and non-s: Pin
> 18 / PIRQ# goes to PIRQA# of the PCH/SoC.
>
> However on L490 Pin 18 / PIRQ# is wired wrongly to SERIRQ, which probably is the
> reason that catching the interrupt storm didn't work: I guess this completely
> messes up LPC communication and causes way more problems. In this case only a
> DMI quirk can help.
>
> BR
> Michael

I'm searching to see if I can find the old bug/email where that info
from Lenovo originated. It could be that the info was wrong, and
it was some firmware issue instead. IIRC the the T490s issue could be
solved with the code looking for the irq storm, but the L490 needed
the dmi check even with the irq storm checking code.

I haven't found the info yet, but I did find some other reports from back
then.

Spurious irq reported with 5.5.7, so after the irq reverts in v5.5:

tpm_tis IFX0785:00: 2.0 TPM
Hardware name: Entroware Proteus/Proteus, BIOS 1.07.07TE0 11/15/2019

Thinkpad P53
tpm_tis STM7308:00: 2.0 TPM
Hardware name: LENOVO 20QNCTO1WW/20QNCTO1WW, BIOS N2NET34W (1.19 ) 11/28/2019

Reports from before the 5.5 reverts:

tpm_tis MSFT0101:00: 2.0 TPM
Hyperbook NH5/Clevo NH55RCQ

tpm_tis IFX0785:00: 2.0 TPM