Re: [RFC net-next v2 5/5] net: phy: nxp-c45-tja11xx: implement mdo_insert_tx_tag

From: Russell King (Oracle)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2023 - 05:27:30 EST

On Fri, Sep 01, 2023 at 09:09:06AM +0000, Radu Pirea wrote:
> On Wed, 2023-08-30 at 13:35 +0200, Sabrina Dubroca wrote:
>
> > And it's not restored when the link goes back up? That's inconvenient
> > :/
> > Do we end up with inconsistent state? ie driver and core believe
> > everything is still offloaded, but HW lost all state? do we leak
> > some resources allocated by the driver?
>
> Yes. We end up with inconsistent state. The HW will lost all state when
> the phy is reseted. No resource is leaked, everything is there, but the
> configuration needs to be reapplied.

If it's happening because the PHY is being re-attached from the network
driver, then wouldn't it be a good idea to synchronise the hardware
state with the software configuration in the ->config_init function?

Presumably the hardware state is also lost when resuming from suspend
as well? If so, that'll also fix that issue as well.

FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!