Re: [RFC net-next v2 5/5] net: phy: nxp-c45-tja11xx: implement mdo_insert_tx_tag

From: Radu Pirea (OSS)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2023 - 07:31:42 EST

On 01.09.2023 12:27, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
On Fri, Sep 01, 2023 at 09:09:06AM +0000, Radu Pirea wrote:
On Wed, 2023-08-30 at 13:35 +0200, Sabrina Dubroca wrote:

And it's not restored when the link goes back up? That's inconvenient
:/
Do we end up with inconsistent state? ie driver and core believe
everything is still offloaded, but HW lost all state? do we leak
some resources allocated by the driver?

Yes. We end up with inconsistent state. The HW will lost all state when
the phy is reseted. No resource is leaked, everything is there, but the
configuration needs to be reapplied.

If it's happening because the PHY is being re-attached from the network
driver, then wouldn't it be a good idea to synchronise the hardware > state with the software configuration in the ->config_init function?

.config_init might be an option, but keeping the keys in the driver might not be a good idea.

Presumably the hardware state is also lost when resuming from suspend
as well? If so, that'll also fix that issue as well.
soft_reset is called when resuming from suspend, so, in this case, the MACsec configuration will be lost.

--
Radu P.