Re: Fwd: Lexar NM790 SSDs are not recognized anymore after 6.1.50 LTS

From: Keith Busch
Date: Tue Sep 05 2023 - 13:10:59 EST

On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 05:50:06PM +0200, Cláudio Sampaio wrote:
> Hi Thorsten and Keith,
>
> Thanks for the details. I'm still unsure if responding by email is better
> or adding to the ticket, but here it goes: I have tried for days both with
> complete power off of the machine and cycle-booting all kernels in
> succession and without exception, 6.1.x LTS and the patched 6.5.1 kernel
> always recognize and operate the NVME, whilst the other kernels also fail
> with the same error message. As this is my "production" desktop, though,
> during the week it's more difficult to me to perform tests with it, but I
> will try to do it in a more methodic way and also with 6.5.1 vanilla.
>
> As for the reason the Lexar doesn't catch the quirk default, I can't say I
> catch the complex logic of the driver activation, but I found out how to
> "fix" for my case because there are three other Lexar models in the pci.c
> file: NM610, NM620 and NM760 (this one with an additional quirk marked on
> it on the code, NVME_QUIRK_IGNORE_DEV_SUBNQN) -- so I guess whatever
> justifies the exception for them also justifies for my model, NM790. Might
> even be the case that I would need NVME_QUIRK_IGNORE_DEV_SUBNQN (not sure
> what it does) like in the NM760 case, but it activates correctly without it.

The existing Lexar quirks for the identifier existed before the default
kernel behavior changed with respect to how identifiers are considered.

But the report says the device failed to enumerate with a "device not
ready" error message. That error message happens *before* identifiers
are checked, so the quirk should be a no-op with respect to that error
message. And the driver abandons the device after printing that message,
so no futher action should be taken no matter what quirk you've set.

In order for this quirk to have any effect at all, the error you should
have seen should look like a "duplicate IDs" message.