Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Add eventfs file to help with debugging any more issues

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Sep 15 2023 - 16:37:01 EST

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:28:57 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sept 2023 at 16:28, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > tracing: Add eventfs file to help with debugging any more issues
> >
> > While debugging the eventfs dynamic file creation issues, creating a file
> > in tracefs that exposed what dentries that were created along with their ref
> > counts proved invaluable.
>
> Honestly, this is neither a bug-fix, nor does it seem to make any
> sense at all in the main tree.
>
> This really feels like a "temporary debug patch for tracing developers".

I wouldn't say its temporary, especially since it can be used to see what's
happening internally.

I'm OK with it not going in now, but instead I'll wrap an ifdef around it
and move it to my queue for the next merge window. I still would like to
keep these "what's going on internally" available, as I'll ask people to
enable them when they report an issue.

There's a few other files that do similar things that have been very useful
for such cases.

-- Steve