Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Add eventfs file to help with debugging any more issues

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Sep 15 2023 - 16:52:01 EST

On Fri, 15 Sept 2023 at 13:36, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm OK with it not going in now, but instead I'll wrap an ifdef around it
> and move it to my queue for the next merge window. I still would like to
> keep these "what's going on internally" available, as I'll ask people to
> enable them when they report an issue.

Honestly, you copied the pattern from the /proc filesystem.

The /proc filesyustem is widely used and has never had this kind of
random debugging code in mainline.

Seriously, that eventfs_file thing is not worthy of this kind of
special debug code.

That debug code seems to be approaching the same order of size as all
the code evetfs_file code itself is.

There's a point where this kind of stuff just becomes ridiculous. At
least wait until there's a *reason* to debug a simple linked list of
objects.

If you have a hard time figuring out what the eventfs entries are,
maybe you should just have made "iterate_shared" show them, and then
you could use fancy tools like "ls" to see what the heck is up in that
directory?

Linus