Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Add eventfs file to help with debugging any more issues

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Sep 15 2023 - 17:31:47 EST

On Fri, 15 Sept 2023 at 14:13, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are you entirely against this file, or is it fine if it's just wrapped
> around an CONFIG_EVENTFS_DEBUG?

Honestly, I think its' extra code that we'd carry around - probably
for much too long - with absolutely _zero_ indication that it's
actually worth it.

Not worth asking people about, but also not worth carrying around.

You worry about bugs in it now, because it's new code. That's normal.
That doesn't make your debug interface worth any kind of future.

Keep it around as a private patch. Send it out to people if there are
actual issues that might indicate this debug support would helkp. And
if it has shown itself to be useful several times, at that point you
have an argument for the code.

As it is, right now I look at that code and I see extra BS that we'll
carry around forever that helps *zero* users, and I find it very
questionable whether it would help you.

And if you really think that people need to know what the events exist
in eventfs, then dammit, make 'readdir()' see them. Not some stupid
specialty debug interface. That's what filesystems *have* readdir for.

Linus