Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Add eventfs file to help with debugging any more issues

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Sep 15 2023 - 17:37:07 EST

On Fri, 15 Sept 2023 at 14:30, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And if you really think that people need to know what the events exist
> in eventfs, then dammit, make 'readdir()' see them. Not some stupid
> specialty debug interface. That's what filesystems *have* readdir for.

.. alternatively, if you have noticed that it's just a pain to not be
able to see the data, instead of introducing this completely separate
and illogical debug interface, just say "ok, it was a mistake, let's

Put another way: this is all self-inflicted damage, and you seem to
argue for this debug interface purely on "I can't see what's going on
any more, the old model was really nice because you could *see* the
events".

To me, if that's really a major issue, that just says "ok, this
eventfs abstraction was mis-designed, and hid data that the main
developer actually wants".

We don't add new debug interfaces just because you screwed up the
design. Fix it.

Linus