Re: Regression: Inoperative bluetooth, Intel chipset, mainline kernel 6.6.2+

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Fri Dec 01 2023 - 03:28:28 EST

Dear Kris,

Am 01.12.23 um 09:19 schrieb Kris Karas (Bug Reporting):
Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
Kris Karas (Bug Reporting) wrote:
I have a regression going from mainline kernel 6.1.62 to 6.1.63, and also
from kernel 6.6.1 to 6.6.2; I can bisect if patch authors can't locate the
relevant commit.  In the most recent kernels mentioned, bluetooth won't
function.

Then please do bisection; without it, nobody will look into this properly.

As only a few people are reporting this, it must be pretty hardware-specific (or perhaps Kconfig/firmware specific).  I'll do a bisect.  A bit too late here in Boston (03:00), and kiddo's birthday "later today", so will probably get to this on the weekend.

You may also want to check current mainline (v6.7-rc3) to see if this
regression have already been fixed.

Just tried 6.7.0-rc3, and it is also affected.

I hadn't git-pulled my linux-stable since May, so that gave me a good chance to test the very latest.  :-)  And conveniently I'm now set for the bisect.

Nice, that is often the fastest way to fix something.

To avoid the time rebooting the system, you could try to expose the drive to a virtual machine [1].

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/331ae35c-7d48-46fc-c4ae-1e60cb0f3378@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/
(The failure in the VM was due to another regression in the Linux kernel, so the how-to actually worked for me.)