mutex/spinlock semantics [was: Re: io_uring: incorrect assumption about mutex behavior on unlock?]

From: Jann Horn
Date: Fri Dec 01 2023 - 13:40:49 EST

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 7:30 PM David Laight <David.Laight@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

RT spinlocks don't use mutexes, they use rtmutexes, and I think those
explicitly support this usecase. See the call path:

spin_unlock -> rt_spin_unlock -> rt_mutex_slowunlock

rt_mutex_slowunlock() has a comment, added in commit 27e35715df54
("rtmutex: Plug slow unlock race"):

* We must be careful here if the fast path is enabled. If we
* have no waiters queued we cannot set owner to NULL here
* because of:
*
* foo->lock->owner = NULL;
* rtmutex_lock(foo->lock); <- fast path
* free = atomic_dec_and_test(foo->refcnt);
* rtmutex_unlock(foo->lock); <- fast path
* if (free)
* kfree(foo);
* raw_spin_unlock(foo->lock->wait_lock);

That commit also explicitly refers to wanting to support this pattern
with spin_unlock() in the commit message.