Re: [GIT PULL] vfs pidfd

From: Christian Brauner
Date: Wed Mar 13 2024 - 14:31:05 EST

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 01:21:34PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 at 13:09, Christian Brauner <brauner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > It's used to compare pidfs and someone actually already sent a pull
> > request for this to another project iirc. So it'd be good to keep that
> > property.
>
> Hmm. If people really do care, I guess we should spend the effort on
> making those things unique.

So, I cleaned that patch and took the chance to simplify things a bit
more and now we give the same guarantees for 32bit and 64bit. We're
still removing a lot more code than we add. I provided a detailed
description and some already existing users.

If you're fine with it I would ask you to please just apply it or if you
prefer I can send a pull request tomorrow. I'm still stuck at the
doctor's office.

I spent most of my day compiling and test i386 kernel and userspace.
Surprisingly, trauma isn't the best teacher because I had completely
forgotten how horrible it all is and I'm glad I'm back in a world where
64bit is a thing.