Re: Hibernate stuck after recent kernel/workqueue.c changes in Stable 6.6.23

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Apr 03 2024 - 12:10:52 EST

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 05:22:17AM -1000, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 07:11:04AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Side note: I have no idea why the stable team backported those patches
> > > and no option on whether that was wise, just trying to help finding the best
> > > solution forward from the current state of things.
> >
> > The Fixes: tag triggered it, that's why they were backported.

> > > /me fears that more and more developers due to situations like this will
> > > avoid Fixes: tags and wonders what consequences that might have for the
> > > kernel as a whole
> >
> > The problem is that we have subsystems that only use Fixes: and not cc:
> > stable which is why we need to pick these up as well. Fixes: is great,
> > but if everyone were to do this "properly" then we wouldn't need to pick
> > these other ones up, but instead, it's about 1/3 of our volume :(
> >
> > I'll gladly revert the above series if they shouldn't have been
> > backported to stable, but from reading them, it seemed like they were
> > fixing an issue that was serious and should have been added to stable,
> > which is why they were.
>
> Oh, yeah, they're fixing an issue. It's just that the issue is relatively
> confined peformance degradation and the fix is really invasive, so not a
> great -stable candidate. At the very least, they'd need a log longer cooking
> time in mainline before being considered for -stable backport.

Ok, I'll go revert them all now. I did some test builds here with them
reverted and they seem sane. I'll push out some -rcs with just the
reverts to at least fix the regressions found in the 6.8.y tree now.

> My intention w/ Fixes: wasn't triggering -stable backport at all, so it's a
> miscommunication. From now on, I'll keep in mind that Fixes: does trigger
> backports. I'm not too worried about not using it as the fixee commit can be
> mentioned in the commit message.

No worries, if you want, we can add any files/paths to our "ignore
Fixes: tags, only take cc: stable ones" that we have for many parts of
the kernel already, where maintainers are good and properly tag stuff.
Just let me know.

thanks,

greg k-h