Re: [syzbot] [hardening?] [mm?] BUG: bad usercopy in fpa_set

From: Russell King (Oracle)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2024 - 12:12:25 EST

On Tue, Mar 05, 2024 at 08:27:07PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Hello.
>
> syzbot is reporting kernel memory overwrite attempt at fpa_set().
> I guessed that the amount to copy from/to should be sizeof(union fp_state)
> than sizeof(struct user_fp), for arch_ptrace(PTRACE_[SG]ETFPREGS) for arm
> is using offset == 0 and size == sizeof(union fp_state). But my guess did not
> solve the issue ( https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/patch.diff?x=11e46dbc180000 ).

This is silly.

sizeof(struct user_fp) is:

8 * (
1 bit for sign1, 15 bits unused => 2 bytes
1 bit for sign2, 14 bits unused, 1 bit for j => 2 bytes
31 bits for mantissa1 => 4 bytes
32 bits for mantissa0 => 4 bytes
) +
4 bytes for fpsr
4 bytes for fpcr
8 bytes for ftype
4 bytes for init_flag

This totals 8 * 12 + 4 + 4 + 8 + 4 = 116 bytes or 29 32-bit quantities,
or 29 "unsigned int"s.

This is copied into union fp_state. This union is made up of one of
several different formats depending on the FP being used. user_fp
doesn't reflect this. However, one of these, struct fp_soft_struct,
is specifically sized to ensure that user_fp is _smaller_.

struct fp_soft_struct is 35 unsigned int's. This is 140 bytes. This
is larger than sizeof(user_fp).

Therefore, there is _no way_ for fpa_set() to overwrite anything
outside of thread_info->fpstate, because sizeof(struct user_fp)
is smaller than sizeof(thread->fpstate).

Syzbot appears to be wrong in this instance.

FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!