Re: [GIT PULL] execve updates for v6.11-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 16 2024 - 16:11:18 EST

On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 at 09:21, Kees Cook <kees@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> fs/exec.c | 49 ++++++++--
> fs/exec_test.c | 141 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've pulled this, but *PLEASE* don't do this.

This screws up my workflow of just using tab-completion for filenames.
As a result, I absolutely abhor anybody who uses the same base-name
for different things.

No, this is not the first time it happens, and it won't be the last.
And we had that same horrific pattern for fs/binfmt_elf_test.c from
before, and I didn't notice because it's not a core file to me, and I
seldom actually edit it.

I would suggest that people use the patterns from lib/, which is
admittedly a bit schizophrenic in that you can either use
"lib/kunit/*.c" (probably preferred) or "lib/test_xyz.c".

(Other subsystems use a "tests" subdirectory, so we do have a lot of
different ways to deal with this).

Any of those models will keep the unit testing parts clearly separate,
and not mess up basic command line workflows.

But do *not* use this "*_test.c" naming model. It's the worst of all
possible worlds.

Please?

Linus