KUnit file naming conventions (was Re: [GIT PULL] execve updates for v6.11-rc1)

From: Kees Cook
Date: Tue Jul 16 2024 - 23:53:57 EST

On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 01:10:41PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 at 09:21, Kees Cook <kees@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > fs/exec.c | 49 ++++++++--
> > fs/exec_test.c | 141 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> I've pulled this, but *PLEASE* don't do this.
>
> This screws up my workflow of just using tab-completion for filenames.
> As a result, I absolutely abhor anybody who uses the same base-name
> for different things.
>
> No, this is not the first time it happens, and it won't be the last.
> And we had that same horrific pattern for fs/binfmt_elf_test.c from
> before, and I didn't notice because it's not a core file to me, and I
> seldom actually edit it.
>
> I would suggest that people use the patterns from lib/, which is
> admittedly a bit schizophrenic in that you can either use
> "lib/kunit/*.c" (probably preferred) or "lib/test_xyz.c".
>
> (Other subsystems use a "tests" subdirectory, so we do have a lot of
> different ways to deal with this).
>
> Any of those models will keep the unit testing parts clearly separate,
> and not mess up basic command line workflows.
>
> But do *not* use this "*_test.c" naming model. It's the worst of all
> possible worlds.
>
> Please?

Oh, sure, no problem! I have no attachment to this convention at all;
I was trying to follow the Kunit docs:
https://docs.kernel.org/dev-tools/kunit/style.html#test-file-and-module-names

If I look at the existing naming, it's pretty scattered:

$ git grep '^static struct kunit_suite\b' | cut -d: -f1 | sort -u

/test/* 7
/tests/* 47
*-test.[ch] 27
*_test.[ch] 27
test-*.c 1
test_*.c 10
*-kunit.c 1
*_kunit.c 17
kunit-*.c 2
kunit_*.c 1

Should we go with "put it all under a 'tests' subdirectory" ?

So for fs/exec_test.c and fs/binfmt_elf_test.c, perhaps fs/tests/exec.c
and fs/tests/binfmt_elf.c respectively?

And for the lib/*_kunit.c files, use lib/tests/*.c ?

Then we can update the docs, etc.

--
Kees Cook