Re: Generalising a transformation with SmPL?

From: Markus Elfring
Date: Sat Sep 14 2024 - 10:41:48 EST

> I found it easy to convert it also into the following small script variant
> for the semantic patch language (Coccinelle software).
>

> @adjustment@
> expression e, x;
> @@
> +of_node_put(e);
> if (...)
> {
> <+... when != e = x
> - of_node_put(e);
> ...+>
> }
> -of_node_put(e);
>

> 58 patches were accordingly generated for source files of the software “Linux next-20240913”.

This SmPL script references a known function name.
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.11-rc7/source/drivers/of/dynamic.c#L43

I imagine that it can become helpful to avoid duplicate function calls
also in combination with other functions.
But there are development challenges to consider for functions like mutex_unlock()
which get addresses passed for data structure members.
Thus I hoped that something can be achieved with the following script variant.

@extended_adjustment@
expression e, f, x, y;
@@
+f(e);
if (...)
{
<+... when != \( e = x \| y(..., &e, ...) \)
( f(&e);

- f(e);
)
...+>
}
(f(&e);

-f(e);
)

But the software combination “Coccinelle 1.2-00038-g2297fc0f” points details out
for further development considerations.

Markus_Elfring@Sonne:…/Projekte/Linux/next-analyses> spatch drivers/pmdomain/rockchip/pm-domains.c …/Projekte/Coccinelle/janitor/avoid_duplicate_function_call.cocci

previous modification:

<<< f(e);