Re: vc scrollback

cjs (cjs@netcom.com)
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 12:12:30 -0700 (PDT)

> >On Sun, 8 Oct 1995, Axel Boldt wrote:
> >
> >> I believe the whole vc system is fundamentally flawed. It is not the
> >> kernel's business to do console scrolling or console switching. That's
> >> to be done by a user process, namely by screen, available from all GNU
> >> sites. It multiplexes a character terminal, giving you all the
> >
> >ABSOLUTELY. Great idea. The more mature Linux gets, the more we (he? :)
> >should filter out things that were really put in there to make
> >development nicer, etc. It saves memory, etc.
> >

> I don't think so... if you want a single console like all the other crappy
> Unices around, then either go buy one of them or edit your kernel to set
> the maximum number of consoles to 1 or 2...

I dunno what version of Linux you are running, but Linux has had
virtual console allocation for quite some time now. The way it works
is that console structures are not allocated until something opens the
console (like getty). So if you only want one console active, you can
just not run init for it or something. Unfortunately, though for some
good reason I can't remember, they do not deallocate when they are
closed, and thus you need a special command to deallocate an allocated
terminal. If you want to check it out, grab a copy of either 1.2.13 or
1.3.32.

I do understand your argument, but vcs do come in quite handy when
screen or X or svgalib or something else locks up a particular VC and
you need to get to another VC to kill whatever is locking up the first
one.

Christopher