Re: Javaconfig?

Eric Plante (planteer@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 20:34:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

> > Hi,
> >

> > I have an idea which might be suitable for configuring kernels over the
> > Web (see linux.early.com). I think it would be really cool if kernel
> > configuration took place in the form of a Java applet, as in "make
> > javaconfig". How does this sound?
> >
> > --Arthur
>
> Why not just write it in APL?
>
> I think all the kernel code should be kept as simple as possible.
> People are already complaining about kernel size too.

True, and I don't think it should be included in the distribution either,
but it would be _really_ nice if someone could run this thing on a web
page, which would then compile the kernel remotely and then place the
binary somewhere where you can fetch it from ftp.. Of course you have to
take the risk of running something you haven't compiled, but people do
that everyday with crappy shareware (well, sometimes crappy) on other
operating systems...

+-- Eric Plante --- <http://www.jsp.umontreal.ca/~planteer/> --+
| "J'ai beau m'analyser, pas le plus petit complexe. C'est pas |
| tellement que ca me vexe, mais je suis un peu... perplexe." |