Re: "obsolete" hardware

Thomas Davis (ratbert@netk.com)
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:15:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Bob Tracy - TDS wrote:

> Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
> >
> > > I too have linux running on semi-obsolete hardware and think it does a
> > > grand job.
> >
> > Nika (4MB i386DX-40) would get very upset if only her big sister
> > Nikita (32MB, Pentium 166) could run the latest kernels.
>
> Just to continue the old hardware fetish to its ridiculous extreme,
> how 'bout an 8MB 386SX/16 with a pair of 65MB RLL disks? A kernel
> rebuild on this beast is an all-night operation :-).

and even more twisted - 386~~/16 (what, you don't know what a double sigma
means? it's pre dx/sx chip)

max 1 meg on the system board, no 387 support (but hey, it has 287
support!), 6 meg additional ram on a 2 3meg cards.

Guess what.

Linux 2.0.x will not run on it. I get NMI from it. But, Linux 1.2.13
runs perfectly fine on it. Windows 3.1 dies on it.

So I'm finally forced to retire it.