Re: Strange portmap/NFS error in 2.1.x

Mikolaj J. Habryn (dichro@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au)
10 Oct 1997 16:30:06 +0800

CP> Weeeelllll... I just found that it happens 3 times regardless.
CP> I mounted /home by hand and got the pause-and-three-error
CP> thingy. After that, no problems.

CP> Furthermore, entirely bringing the network (ifconfig & route)
CP> down, then back up again, will not reproduce this error. It's
CP> strictly the very first NFS mount after bootup.

We had a similar problem here once. Basically, the NIC would sit
there and probe out of each port in turn, before deciding on BNC. The
interesting thing was that the time that it took to probe was just
long enough for a nameserver query to time out - meaning that the very
first NFS volume listed in fstab that wasn't in /etc/hosts would fail,
and everything else would work... fixed by changing the probe order
for the card to try the right port first.

m.