Re: 2.0.31-pre10 status

Kurt Huwig (kurt@huwig.de)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 13:46:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Dave Wreski wrote:
> Possibly this isn't the right place to ask, but there are several
> questions I have about a few of the patches to pre10+BigMama. I couldn't
> seem to find a direct description of what patches are included in this
> BigMama patch...

All 2.0-patches from BigMama (except the 'privs'-patch) are included in
the BigMama-patch-file.

> It seems there are several new configuration options.

[...]

> - 'parallel port sharing support'. I thought I had an Iomega Parallel zip
> and printer support working properly before. Why the change? There is
> also scsi-emulation support; are both necessary?

This patch speeds up the Parallel ZIP from 11:30 mins copying a 15MB file
to 1:30, because it uses the EPP mode, together with some other neat
features.

> - Several configuration options are not listed as 'EXPERIMENTAL' on the
> configuration screen, but are listed as expermental in 'Help'. Which are
> correct?

IMHO, 'Help' is correct.

> - Several options are missing 'Help'. I'd hate to see 2.0.31 released
> without help options.. Ask me for specifics..

BigMama-patches are not necessary included in 2.0.31. It's just a
collection of patches

> - Ext2 file compression. This isn't marke as experimental, but I haven't
> ever seen this before. What is its status?

Experimental. There is a link to the page in the 'Developer
Pages'-section.

Kurt

Impossible doesn't exist! Unmöglich gibt's nicht!
Difficult exists. Schwierig gibt's.