Re: serial input overrun(s) using ide-cd

Tue, 14 Oct 1997 08:29:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > to turn OFF interrupts during PIO. This is dumb. The correct solution is
> > to turn OFF write-behind caching which does nothing to improve performance
> > because one seldom writes the same thing over-and-over again to the same
> > memory location in real world applications.
>
> Except on the stack, it is worth keeping the stack in the cache and using
> write back memory for stack areas. Especially on Intel with its short
> register set which makes stack memory traffic much higher than on RISC.
> Besides that, write back caches are a gain with FFT. Have a look at the
> addressing pattern of a, say, 4096 complex point (of course in-place) FFT.
>
> Greetings,
> Gabriel.

I'd be willing to bet a dime that the PIO problem is a write-behind cache
problem that is being masked by turning off interrupts during PIO
operation, I'll bet that changing write-back to write-through "fixes"
the problem.

Cheers,
DJ
Richard B. Johnson
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.55 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).
Warning : It's hard to stay on the trailing edge of technology.
Linux : Engineering tool
Spam : sync@localhost, daemon@loghost