Re: Linux 2.1 on an Alpha SX164

Richard Henderson (rth@dot.cygnus.com)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 14:30:46 -0800

On Wed, Feb 04, 1998 at 10:33:22PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Q1: What's the official status of the Alpha port? 2.0.x seems unusable without
> the patches from ftp.digital.com

Modulo glibc 1.99 problems with header files, 2.0.x is usable out of the
box on the older systems. It is only Jay's new ports that really require
extra patches to run.

> 2.1.x doesn't have half of those patches in either.

Glibc 2.0 does not need the header file munging. A good chunk of the new
ports are in 2.1.x; Jay is promising the rest of it "soon".

> 2.1.84 didn't look like it compiled on _any_ Alpha platform, because of
> references to local_bh_count

So you caught a bad snapshot. Linus does check his release against every
platform, only the one he's working on at the moment. Anyway, 2.1.82 did
compile, I posted patches for .84 within hours, and .85 includes them.

> Q2: What's the point of binfmt_em86 when you still need the extra patches
> for 31-bit addressing? Are these not included because of GPL problems?

No, just because Jim or someone else didn't send them, and neither I nor
Linus use em86. I'll take a look at yours though, and see about getting
them into .86.

r~