Re: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

Jason McMullan (jmcc@ontv.com)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:04:13 -0500 (EST)

'Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote with particular insight...'
> From: Jason McMullan <jmcc@pepsi.visus.com>
> Date: 26 Feb 1998 15:20:15 GMT
>
> Hmmm... Not a bad idea. I didn't intend to muck with the
> TTY line discipline, but this _does_ have some posibilities,
> such as:
>
> * (PC) Treat the keyboard/PS2 ports as `funny' serial ports.
> * (Mac) ADB simply becomes a collection of serial ports
>
> * All TTY lines can hook into an EvStack, with
> the input characters filtered through a
> (global/per-device/per-tty/whatever) translation
> filter (ie keymap) that outputs Unicode keypresses.
>
> (We're using Unicode16 - if at all possible -
> throught the EvStack system)
>
> Err.... I'm not convinced at all this is a good idea to route all TTY
> lines through the EvStack system. Recall that some TTY outputs need to
> be extremely efficient --- think PPP running at 460kbaud, or even higher
> speeds in some cases. Nothing I've seen about EvStack has convinced me
> that it would be efficient for this type of thing. It may be find for
> keyboard input, but that doesn't mean it'll handle high-volume data
> transfer. Let's not make the STREAMS mistakes again, shall we?

I don't plan to. [that's why I said `I didn't intend to muck with
the TTY line discipline - I KNOW what you've had to go through to get
decent performance out of the current hardware] Anyhow, this was
basically just `idle chit-chat' - and the implementation I was thinking
of would have NO performance loss is you didn't attach an EvStack
filter to it. If your did attach a filter, I just pray you're using
a VT100 or something.. ;^)

--
Jason McMullan - Linux - GGI - http://pepsi.visus.com/~jmcc
NT 5.0 is the last nail in the Unix coffin. Interestingly, Unix