Re: GRR!! SMP=1 sucks

kwr@kwr.hnv.com
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:10:27 -0500 (CDT)

And lo, Joe Julian saith unto me:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 kwr@kwr.hnv.com wrote:
> > And lo, Manuel J. Galan saith unto me: "Economic
> > considerations" today, at least in the PC world, are:
> >1) SMP is hard to get right from a software perspective,
> >2) '95 doesn't use SMP and NT might not use it all that well
> >3) Intel would rather sell you one expensive processor than two
> > cheap ones, and
> >4) Only Intel can make SMP-capable chipsets for Intel's SMP
> > protocol, and while other chipset makers make chipsets
> > that can do SMP with AMD or Cyrix chips, no motherboard
> > maker has made an SMP non-Intel-CPU board...
>
> Gigabyte GA-586DX
> http://www.giga-byte.com/GA586DX.html
>
> I haven't tested it personally, but the spec sheet says it
> will...
The spec sheet at that URL doesn't even mention the fact that it's a
dual processor motherboard, and the picture links are broken today
so you can't confirm it visually. However, this motherboard uses
the Triton HX chipset, which only supports Intel-style PIC. Go look
at the HX chipset specs (for APIC vs. OpenPIC vs. somethingelsePIC
support), then go look at CPU specs... Like I said, Intel patented
(or something) their flavor of PIC and chose not to support the
other two flavors of PIC (which the AMD and Cyrix chips support)...

Keith