Re: Encrypted filesystem under Linux.

Neil Moore (amethyst@maxwell.ml.org)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 19:35:00 -0400

Laurent Martelli <martelli@iie.cnam.fr> wrote:
> Dancer> matthew tebbens wrote:

> >> regulations..
> >>
> >> So Linux falls under US government regulations !?
>
> Dancer> Anything in the USA falls under US government
> Dancer> regulations. Even if it is only there temporarily.
>
> There are many Linux users outside of the USA, and they don't care
> about what laws are going on out there.

Due to US export laws, crypto in the kernel would force:
A. The kernel to be maintained outside the US.
B. All US mirrors to deny downloads to people outside the US.

And, if I'm not mistaken about French law, crypto in Linux would keep
you from using it at all.

--
-Neil Moore, amethyst@maxwell.ml.org, http://www.sfloyd.ml.org/~amethyst/