Re: Token Ring NIC

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 08:21:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Colin Coe wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have just gotten hold of an Intel TokenExpress NIC which I want to use
> instead of a crap NE2000 clone that I am currently using. The TokenExpress
> card has a UTP port which I will plug into the 8 port 10mbps hub that I have
> also just got. The rest of the LAN connects via BNC and I want Linux to be
> able to still talk to everyone else.
>
> +---------------+ UTP +--------------+ BNC +----------+
> | Linux |<------->| Hub with |<------->| Rest of |
> | TokenExpress | | Transceiver | | Network |

I think you may be a bit confused. The Intel TokenExpress is (as the name
suggests) a token ring adapter. What you are calling a "UTP" port may use
the same RJ45 connector found on a 10-BaseT adapter, but it does not speak
ethernet protocol. In fact, you could be taking the risk of damaging
something by connecting it to the ethernet hub.

> There seems to be no support in Linux for token ring networks, is this
> right?

Wrong. It's been there for quite some time.

Steve