Re: I want my old SCSI order back :-)

Dwight Hubbard (dlhubbar@collins.rockwell.com)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 14:54:10 -0500

Michel wrote:

> Not having this problem now, but having run into similar annoying
> problems when adding/removing partitions and harddrives in the past,
> thus screwing up the fstab alltogether, perhaps it's an idea to have an
> option that can force a specific order of devices - making newly added
> devices always show up end the end of the /dev/hdS|/dev/sdS list...
> Perhaps a pri/sec/mas/slv & scsiID <> /dev/-order mapping file in /etc that
> performs a remount of devices once it's accessable, or a tag in the
> partitiontable(s) somewhere ?
>
> Well, lemme know if you think it's a stupid idea... but I would like such
> a feature...

How about naming the devices by the label on the disk instead of how it's
physically connected. I.E. a disk with a label of "foo" could be accessed as
/dev/disk/foo in addition to the current naming convention of /dev/sdd. Then
if the scsi ID changes or the disk gets hooked to a different controller it
still is acessed as /dev/disk/foo.