Re: Compiling with gcc, sig 11, I've got the answer(?)

George Bonser (grep@oriole.sbay.org)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 23:05:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Jon Lewis wrote:

> A lot of 486 motherboards were sold with bad or totally fake cache that
> would do this sort of thing.

Yes, there are a LOT of "wooden" cache chips out there. You can usually
spot them because they have a sticker over the chips warning that the
warranty is void if the sticker is removed.

Another thing that causes this is overclocking CPU's. Often a misjumpered
motherboard will set the CPU up at the wrong clock speed and too high a
speed results in too hot a CPU among other problems.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org