Re: 2.1.129-ac3 severe RX errors in PPP

David Burrows (snadge@gemcorp.com.au)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:57:54 +1000 (EST)

Hi there,

You wrote:
>> Adaptec 1510A ISA SCSI), and that i can't get more than about 1.2 k/sec
>> with my 33600 connect. If I download stuff from a web page, or ftp site,
>> and type ifconfig I can watch the receive errors increase. The reason
>> I'm reporting this as a problem is that 2.0.36 does not exhibit this
>>behaviour. I might try ac5, or one of the pre130 kernels later.
>
>Question; What network card do you have (or none) Question2: Did you build
>the kernel uniprocessor (ie comment the SMP= line out of the top makefile)
>
>If not does building the kernel non SMP fix the problem ?

The machine has an ISA ne2k clone, and it is a non SMP kernel which I've
compiled with egcs 1.03 and -O2 (which works fine I might add on my other
machines here). One other detail I neglected to mention was that I
enabled ppp deflate compression, maybe this is the culprit? I have a
2.1.125 machine on the other end of the ppp link with ppp deflate enabled
also. I could try again with the deflate line commented out of the
/etc/ppp/options file if this may help? However I must note that I've
been using ppp deflate successfully for a while.

Cheers,

Dave.