Re: Minor request for enhancement: "beep on halt"

Jason A. Pfeil (pfeil@nu.cs.fsu.edu)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:57:53 -0500 (EST)

Not quite. Shutdown(8) is a user-space program and as such exits when the
kernel shuts down all processes before unmounting the filesystems.
Shutdown just calls a routine in the kernel to handle the shutdown before
it is killed itself. Therefore, this ability needs to be in the kernel
proper.

Cheers!

--Jason

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Stephen Harris writes:
> > Well, Alan Cox reckons my original patch was in the right place, so
> > here's a version against 2.1.131. This is a lot better, because the
> > shutdown code has been seperated out between the architectures, so
> > I'm not too worried that this is intel only code... after all, it
> > now lives in arch/i386 :-)
>
> Perhaps I missed it, but why can't you hack shutdown(8) to beep after
> you've unmounted and synced? shutdown(8) already knows when it is safe
> to turn the power off.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard....
>
> -

----
Jason A. Pfeil pfeil@cs.fsu.edu
Information Systems Developer jpfeil@lsi.fsu.edu
CASDL (850)644-8014; fax: (850)644-4952
Learning Systems Institute University Center C-3527
http://idl.fsu.edu Tallahassee, FL 32306-2540