Re: Debugging kernel

Stephane Belmon (sbelmon@cs.ucsd.edu)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 22:26:09 -0800 (PST)

On 14 Dec 1998, Muthu wrote:

> Is there any method to debug entire kernel from remote machine(remote
> debugger)? I remember in FreeBSD, kernel can be debugged through serial
> port. Do such facilities exists in linux?

http://www.gcom.com/#linux

Someone who actively uses Gdbstub or Kitrace, or whatever else, would be
welcome to write an addition to the FAQ. In the "How do I" section under
"how do I debug?", with all kinds of tricks.

For instance, one trick that might seem obvious, for code living in
modules, is to compile -> insmod -> test -> rmmod -> fix -> compile -> ...
instead of rebooting. It's just that it's not written down anywhere, and
it's most helpful.

--
Stephane Belmon <sbelmon@cse.ucsd.edu>
University of California, San Diego