Re: Long `rm` times.

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Mon, 24 May 1999 09:41:39 +0200 (MEST)

Mark Lord wrote:
> "Nicholas J. Leon" wrote:
> ..
> > Try rebooting and then deleting the file. I did so and it took around
> > 30seconds to delete a 1GB file..... if I delete it IMMEDIATELY after
> > creating it (including "sync") it takes (as youve shown) around 5 seconds or
> > so.
>
> Is the "file" in the root directory?
>
> Maybe this delay is just ext2 running around updating
> all of the superblock backups or something (WAG) ???

No. I don't think so.

I think that Nicholas has enough RAM to buffer all the indirect blocks
after he creates the file. So deleting the file involves writing all
the block bitmaps. Whereas, a cold delete of the file involves reading
all the indirect blocks....

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------