Re: How can Emacs get a unique ID per Linux reboot?

CT@braehler.com
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:53:35 +0200

Riley Williams wrote:

> OK, if you're going to deliberately mangle your system clock in some
> random way, then that will break, but if you're referring to changes
> from winter to summer time and back again, then the above will deal
> with that quite happily...
Is NTP a case of "deliberately mangle your system clock"?
Summer- and wintertime is a question of timezones, but when the
NTP demon adjusts the system time, the BootID will shift too
(if I understood the problem correctly).

Not that I would touch EMACS with anything but a ten foot pole,
but incorrect values are incorrect values, and may confuse
other programs too.

An easy way could be a system patch which copies the system time
at boot into another variable, which is exported read-only via
"/proc/bootID" or something along that. IMHO no great deal.

yours, Christian

--
100 useful things to do with EMACS:
47: Delete it to get alot more free disk space