Re: Disk corrupted when disk out of space (VFAT)

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:16:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Cyril PELLERIN wrote:

> Last week-end, I was hapily filling my VFAT Win98 partition using cdparanoia
> when I fullfiled the disk by mistake. As a result, I got a "disk out of
> space" or something similar (normal...), but then I could not remove
> anything from that partition : rm command returned an error message
> saying that the partition was mounted read-only ! When I rebooted
> (using halt, then hard-reset), I noticed my partition table for that
> disk was corrupted. Recreating the partition table as before didn't help
> : data was completely corrupted on that disk.
>
> I am using a SuSE Linux 6.1 with kernel 2.2.9. I could reproduce the bug
> on either IDE or SCSI disks.

I suggest you contact SuSE and determine of they are shipping a stock
kernel or a modified one. If it is the later and not the former, you need
to take issue with SuSE first. Otherwise be very explicit on the nature
of what you are calling "drive corruption", this is an extremely sore
subject for many............

Spell out hardware (model, name, bios, firmware).
What did you do to cause this "corruption", or did it happen on its own.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy