Re: SGI's XFS DONATED AS OPEN SOURCE!!!!!!!!!

Nicholas R LeRoy (nick.leroy@norland.com)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:34:01 -0500

On Jun 1, 1:50pm, Dan Koren wrote:
> Subject: Re: SGI's XFS DONATED AS OPEN SOURCE!!!!!!!!!
> Fredrik Lundholm wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > > changes we might be making for XFS. Note however that XFS itself
> > > is not part of the kernel but rather a loadable module. The terms
> >
> > Well, to be able to claim all that good-will that steams from words
> > like donation and open-source,
> > I really hope the module will be released in SOURCE form.
> > A binary module doesn't strike me as particulary exiting nor flexible
> > enough to gain required momentum..
> >
> > /Fredrik Lundholm
> > exce7@ce.chalmers.se
>
> As our press announcement said, XFS will be released in open source.
> That does not contradict/preclude its being structured as a loadable
> module. XFS is a pretty large file system (100k+ lines of code) and
> it wouldn't be reasonable for something that large to be statically
> linked with the kernel, as there are probably lots of applications
> and configurations that don't need its capabilities.
>
> I hope this clarifies things.

Damn!!! In general, there seems to be A LOT of FUD flying around about
SGI releasing XFS under an open source license. I just *don't* understand
why people are being so negative about it. He we are, essentially being
given a gift from SGI, and everybody's bitching about it. It seems pretty
clear from what I've read that SGI *really* does intend to release this
beast in source form once they verify that it's clear of the legal crap.
Any way you add this up, it's a good thing.

I, for one, am very grateful for this. We, The Linux Community (tm)
should be thankful. We can argue the technical merit of XFS (I've never
used it to any significant extent or seen the source, so I can't commont
on that level). For all I know it may be a piece of sh*t, but I sincerely
doubt it. SGI *isn't* known for producing that type of product (unless,
of course, you count running some-other-company-from-Redmond's "O/S").

I'd like to personally say "Thanks, SGI!". Hopefully, others will join
the chorus. Unless we want to scare off good-will efforts, we'd better
start treating these people a bit better.

There. I'll climb down off my soapbox, now. Seriously, though, let's
say "thanks" for the effort.

-Nick

--
| /`--_   Nicholas R LeRoy      | In a world without fences, Who needs Gates?|
|      nick.leroy@norland.com   | #include <disclaimer.h>                    |
|http://www3.norland.com/~nleroy| These are my own ideas, not my employer's. |