Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
3 Jun 1999 14:55:59 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.10.9906031443250.11672-100000@ps.cus.umist.ac.uk>,
Riley Williams <rhw@MemAlpha.CX> wrote:
>Another combination that's near enough impossible to install Linux on
>is a system with one or more EIDE hard drives, but with only SCSI CD
>drives.

Huh? That seems very bizarre; I know that some early Slackwares
really didn't like it when you had a SCSI disk and IDE CD-ROM
(or visa-versa) and would insist on trying to lilo a boot sector
onto the CD, but I'd think that that would all be solved by now.

Certainly Mastodon doesn't have any trouble doing this, and it's a
distribution I do as a hobby (of course I pretty aggressively trim
away SCSI support <to nothing more than Aha1542,1740,2940 and
friends, BusLogic, NCR810, AMD, and Advansys>, because SCSI has
become Too Damn Expensive for mere mortals.)

Fitting PCMCIA card services onto the install floppy is, on the
other hand, a complete nightmare: libc4 + BASIC + the installer
+ insmod + all the pcmcia modules + a diagnostic shell == 10k
larger than a 1.44 floppy. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh! A hybrid card
services stack, where tcic.o, i8<mumble>.o, and pcmcia_core.o are
built into the kernel, but all the drivers and cs layers are left
in userspace might solve this problem, at least until the next
major release bloats up the kernel by 100k :-(

____
david parsons \bi/ I dread fitting 2.2 into Mastodon. Floppies aren't
\/ getting any bigger, and I don't know of any small
bootstrap loaders that can load arbitrary images
for initrds