Re: Linux and Apache performance, Update

Brian (signal@shreve.net)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:48:24 -0500 (CDT)

On 3 Jun 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

> ju@ct.heise.de (Juergen Schmidt) writes:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I promised to keep you updated on my results, concerning the tests of my
> > comparison between NT/IIS and Linux/Apache.
> >
> > The general result is: with one 100 MBit interface nothing really
> > spectacular happens. Differences are in the range of 10%
> >
> > With two interfaces, Linux clearly looses.
>
> How did you set up the two NICs? Did you make apache bind to
> both IP addresses? Also did you have appropiate routes that
> Linux spreads out the load on both nics (=> does netstat -i
> show a equal distribution?)

Did you increase the max number of file descriptors on the linux box? Did
you up the number of apaches that can run (their is a hard limit set in
src/include/httpd.h of 256 that needs to be increased), Did you up the
number of servers on apache? Did you up the number of maximum tasks in
src/include/linux/tasks.h to at least double its default?