Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

David Hinds (dhinds@lahmed.Stanford.EDU)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:54:47 -0700

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 01:44:55AM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi David.
>
> Since you appear to at least be willing to discuss the subject,
> perhaps you can answer the question I've asked a number of times
> regarding this, that nobody appears to be willing to answer:
>
> Q> What is so magical about having the CD's boot image being
> Q> a 1440k image when the standard specifies that the boot
> Q> image can also be 2880k in size?
>
> I can confirm that I've checked this out with both the systems I have
> access to that can boot off their CD drives, by burning a CD with a
> 2880k boot image and seeing if they can boot off it. Both booted fine.

I don't know much about it: only what other people have posted on this
thread. It sounds to me like this should work fine... so in fact, one
work-around for the problem would be for RH, or whoever, to just make
the bootable image on their CD's bigger, rather than simply having it
be one of their 1.44M floppy images.

-- Dave