Re: [patch] Exported some extra symbols for modules

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 16:50:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> > Put it into the main kernel and make sys_sendfile() use it - it's *MUCH*
> > better than expanding the export list and duplicating code.
>
> Ehm. sys_sendfile is for fd->fd, mine is for file -> socket. I don't know
> if I'm able to merge some of this... (And I don't think Linus would like
> this)

Oops. I see. Sorry, I misparsed your posting. Scratch it. Sorry for
confusion.

> > > "sendfile" holds the global kernel-lock. Is it possible to remove this
> > > somehow?
> >
> > No. It uses a lot of code that is not SMP-safe. BTW, the same applies to
> > your sendfile-from-struct-file thing.
>
> My version also grabs the kernel-lock, because I didn't know if it was
> allowed NOT to use it for this special case.

Nope. do_generic_file_read() requires it. Sequence:
do_generic_file_read() ---> foo->readpage, e.g. smb_readpage, which is not
SMP-safe.