Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

Wang Jian (larkw@263.net)
Sat, 05 Jun 1999 14:46:19 +0800

When you install RedHat 5.1 and above on machines with only 8MB memory, you
will meet some problems if you have no luck.

The problem I usually meet is that when formating ext2 filesystems, the
installer locks . There are 3 ways to pass it:
1. Install the second time ( it will pass happily )
2. Add memory
3. Unmount the disk, attach it to a machine with 16M memory, install, unmount
the disk, remount it on the bad machine.

Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Mark Lord <mlord@pobox.com> said:
> >> Except that you need two CD-ROM's then. The size of the 2.2 module set
> >> + the full pcmcia scs+net set + the installer + initrd means the resulting
> >> super initrd won't work on an 8Mb computer.
> >
> >Worst case, yes.. spring for the extra 50 cents for an extra CD in the set.
> >
> >But, as Linus says, how many laptops come with only 8MB these days?
>
> It isn't just about laptops - that install CD should install on all
> computers. There are lots of computers around that have 8MB (or less)
> that people want to install Linux on - that's one of the attractions of
> Linux: you can do more stuff with less hardware.
>
> People don't want to have to pick an installation CD (one for laptops,
> one for small memory, etc.).
>
> I still think the answer for installation is some gross hack that can
> call back to the real-mode BIOS to read more stuff from disk. The El
> Torito extensions talk about some kind of multi image thing - it sounds
> like you can have the BIOS load the first thing, and then it can make
> calls back to the BIOS to have another image loaded. That would solve
> this problem I think.
> --
> Chris Adams <cadams@ro.com> - System Administrator
> Renaissance Internet Services - IBS Interactive, Inc.
> Home: http://ro.com/~cadams - Public key: http://ro.com/~cadams/pubkey.txt
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
>
> -

   lark