Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 02:55:37 -0400 (EDT)

Alan Cox writes:

>> Hell, even I can make a bootable-cdrom that includes PCMCIA support
>> (using David's excellent tools) on the initrd image.
>
> Except that you need two CD-ROM's then. The size of the 2.2 module
> set + the full pcmcia scs+net set + the installer + initrd means
> the resulting super initrd won't work on an 8Mb computer.

I see an anachronism here.

Most 8 MB systems will need a boot floppy, since they are too old
to support CD-ROM boot. When I bought my 133 MHz Pentium system with
32 MB of RAM in 1996, I did not get the CD-ROM boot feature. Since an
8 MB system would be even older (perhaps 1994), there is little need
to worry about CD-ROM boots in 8 MB.

Distributions ought to go with a 2.88 MB image on the CD-ROM,
possibly with a kernel patched to support bzip2 compression.
The CD-ROM boot image should assume that 16 MB is available.

Since boot floppy creation is already for nerds only, one might
bring back support for 4 MB machines. Slackware used to (still does?)
let the user create and enable swap before starting the setup program.