Re: linux 2.x kernel lp.c and parport.c bug

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:34:28 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Marty Leisner wrote:

> If something is being done wrong with the port, the printer should
> just stop accepting data...I assume "illegal instruction" is a kernel
> panic?

It's apparently the _printer_ that does that -- Linux is fine, but the
_printer_ crashes.

> I've also seen the recommendation of "using write to file" from a NT
> driver, then looking at the generated output...remember, it is not
> IDENTICAL to what comes out of a driver speaking to a device (if the
> "write to file" makes the problem occur, great, but not
> necessarily...)

What's happening is that 'write to file' is done on an NT box, generating
a PostScript file, which is then sent directly to the printer from an NT
box and from a Linux box.

Tim.
*/