Re: AIX fs for Linux

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Sat, 05 Jun 1999 13:49:03 -0400

Matti Aarnio wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 12:39:03PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Looks like Linux may be getting another big fs to play with, AIX's fs:
> > http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/1999/22/ns-8362.html
> >
> > Does anybody have more details?
>
> Per that article, it tells just that the AFS (Andrew FS) is
> officially being supported by IBM at Linux systems.

The paragraph in question reads:

IBM has extended key pieces of its middleware to the Linux platform, to
help it thrive in corporate networks of servers. These include the AFS
Enterprise File System, allowing users of IBM's AIX version of the Unix
operating system to share files with Linux users.

Since the "AFS Enterprise File System" allows file sharing with AIX, I
took that to imply that AFS in this case meant AIX fs. I didn't know
that Transarc is now owned by IBM though....

Jeff